RE: HYB: Pollen strike stats

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Pollen strike stats
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:12:04 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 22:12:04 -0500

All my regular season pods have been harvested, except my Vienna Waltz X Pink
Attraction, which didn't set until 6/8.  Assuming it has seeds, here are the
stats I came up with:

Using fresh pollen:  142 pods from 652 attempts, for 21.8%
Using frozen pollen:  17 pods from 87 attempts, for 19.5%
Using pollen collected 4 miles away, not refrigerated, used next day: 31 pods
from 56 attempts, for 55.4%

All frozen pollen was from my rebloomers last fall.  I deleted Jennifer
Rebecca from the count (0 for 23 attempts).  Considering I was using the
frozen pollen mostly very early and very late in the bloom season,  I think
it's just as good as fresh.  Might even be better, since it's dry.  My lowest
daily percent of strikes came on days after significant rainfall, when the
pollen was probably not dry enough.  Next year I plan to collect pollen the
day before expected rainfall.  Of the nine days with significantly higher
success rates, 7 were afternoon pollination on days with morning temps in the
low 50s.

Since I'm addicted to making crosses, it's nice to know I can feel like I'm
getting my "fix" collecting rebloomer pollen in the fall.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5