RE: RE: HYB: Pollen strike stats

Tell us how you preserve your pollen Mary,

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Mary
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:12 PM
To: iris
Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Pollen strike stats

All my regular season pods have been harvested,
except my Vienna Waltz X Pink Attraction, which
didn't set until 6/8.  Assuming it has seeds, here
are the stats I came up with:

Using fresh pollen:  142 pods from 652 attempts,
for 21.8% Using frozen pollen:  17 pods from 87
attempts, for 19.5% Using pollen collected 4 miles
away, not refrigerated, used next day: 31 pods
from 56 attempts, for 55.4%

All frozen pollen was from my rebloomers last
fall.  I deleted Jennifer Rebecca from the count
(0 for 23 attempts).  Considering I was using the
frozen pollen mostly very early and very late in
the bloom season,  I think it's just as good as
fresh.  Might even be better, since it's dry.  My
lowest daily percent of strikes came on days after
significant rainfall, when the pollen was probably
not dry enough.  Next year I plan to collect
pollen the day before expected rainfall.  Of the
nine days with significantly higher success rates,
7 were afternoon pollination on days with morning
temps in the low 50s.

Since I'm addicted to making crosses, it's nice to
know I can feel like I'm getting my "fix"
collecting rebloomer pollen in the fall.

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5

To sign-off this list, send email to
majordomo@hort.net with the message text