Liquid Imidacloprid spray for borers

I used Bayer Advanced Garden Tree and Shrub Insect Control. It comes in a concentrated liquid form and costs about 24.00 in garden supply stores. It doesn't even mention borers or even grubs.' But it is imidacloprid. I diluted it, added some 'sticker' and got myself a 20.00 pressure sprayer. I used about half the 32 fl oz bottle for about 800 rhizomes. I sprayed in April when the fans were approx 4" high...all over the fan and around the rhizome. The iris didn't mind a bit.
Actually, the product is not my discovery. I read about someone elses success with this product in an AIS journal article last year. The results using the liquid spray vs the granules are just too dramatic to ignore.
Laetitia