hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Repeating the old diploid X tetraploid cross

I am using the diploids to breed with the tetraploids although I am taking a
different route. I am going to treat diploid seeds with Oryzalin to obtain
tetraploids to then cross onto the Tall beardeds (or others!). I haven't
treated any yet, but have the method ready to go and currently building new
diploid breeding stock to chemically treat. I do not feel that the current
diploids have the desireable traits all in one plant that I would want to
incorporate into a new genetic pool. If nothing else I will have created new
and superior diploid bearded varieties.

Origianl Message:----------

>Is anyone else trying to do [bearded] diploid X
>tetraploid crosses?

From The World of Irises (TWOI), I first read about
the crosses that generated the founding ancestors of
our modern Tall Beardeds. If I'm remembering right,
Neil Mogensen indicated that it's a pretty small group
of founders. That would make sense, since TWOI
mentioned how unproductive (in number of seeds) these
crosses were.
This season, I tried several diploid X tetraploid
crosses to see if I could generate some "fresh blood"
for the TB gene pool. The tetraploid pollen I used was
from a pretty cantaloupe orange TB called MUSKOKA
SUNSET, that happened to being in full bloom when I
needed pollen. I used it on HONORABILE [a collected
NOID that I'm pretty sure is that iris], ODORATISSIMA
[a pallida], CLOWN PANTS [my variegata X suaveolens
hybrid] and a seedling of VIBRANT ROSE [MTB] (from
ROSE x CLOWN PANTS seedling, behaved similarly. They
podded well and seemed to have produced a large number
of seeds in all the pods. But, upon drying, the seeds
have almost all shrunken to the point that they look
like they are going to be inviable. Now for the good
news. HONORABILE aborted all but 3 pods (out of dozens
of attempted). Then 2 more of those aborted. But the
last pod, hung on to the end and contained what
appeared to be five half-formed seeds. I don't know if
they'll germinate, but at least there's a little hope
Even more promising though were the two pods from
ODORATISSIMA. Both contained relatively few but very
large seeds. I had partially mangled one, when trying
to extract them from the still partially unripe pod.
So, I mangled it the rest of the way, and it appeared
to be an almost perfectly normal seed as far as the
innards go (not a hollow shell).
Hopefully, next season I'll be reporting on some


To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement