RE: HYB: Tet x Diploid

Not recently, but I. pallida x tetraploid were my first pollen
daubings.  I didn't know any better <g>

First cross was pallida X MULBERRY ROSE, seeds were planted out in the
garden, ignored for several years, then two surviving seedlings
extracted from the mess of weeds and neglected for several more years.
One survived, which I still have.

I had a good success rate from mixed pollen in the second batch of
crosses - more or less daubing pollen from several cultivars on the few
pallida blooms open, repeatedly adding pollen as long as the bloom
stayed open.  I wasn't even putting pollen directly/exclusively on the
stigmatic lips - couldn't see them & wasn't sure where they were - so
was just smearing it everywhere on the style arms.

Around 40 surviving seedlings from those crosses, but I've been
gradually discarding them over the years.

Plus a few F2 bee pods that have produced one or two interesting
offspring - their growth habits are very different from parents -huge
healthy beasties, resistant to my infrequent attempts to set pods, but
have bloomed one batch of F3s (crossed back to tets) - not a happy
cross, so discarded - rotting plants, nothing nice about blooms.

>Is anyone else trying to do [bearded] diploid X
                   >tetraploid crosses?

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8