OT: Mothballs and other deterrents

Hi -  I've used mothballs with success for keeping skunks away from the house.  They don't seem to have as much effect on the squirrels and chipmunks (and my beagle used to turn his nose up at them).  My real problem is deer!  I'd almost given up on growing any tulips, and they loved to eat my phlox - would crop them off halfway down (not if they were in bloom however).
I've been using Liquid Fence this year and love the results!  It doesn't harm the plants (made of all natural products), and keeps the deer from eating my plants.  Next spring I'm going to put it on my tulips - although it might be 'rabbits' eating them.  We'll see.
Gardening is a wonderful antidepressant, I find, and also a winter blues chaser for the same reasons mentioned by others here - perusing the new catalogs and planning (even if the garden is already loaded!).
Linda ;-)
Troy, MI