Re: HYB: Tet X diploid

Interesting ideas, Neil,  re: viability of tet x diploid vs diploid x
tet. Once again, it also probably depends on how closely the diploid set
of chromosomes matches up with the tetraploid sets.

I suspect that survivors here are skewed a bit towards chromsomes sets
closer to pallida and variegata than other possibilities.  Which may
explain why I found it relatively easy to get seeds on pallida (diploid)
using tetraploid pollen here.  Especially since I used mostly blue tet
cultivars in the second bunch of crosses.

I've tried repeatedly to set pods on a white bee seedling (S1bwh) from a
blue seedling (S1) from I. pallida X MULBERRY ROSE.  S1bwh is a tall,
very robust, healthy monster, similar to some of the 30s, 40s large
flowered tets I saw at the first show I attended in Lebanon TN, where
all the modern stuff had been wiped out by a late freeze.  S1bwh has
been stubborn about setting seeds.  The few seedlings I've gotten and
bloomed from it have looked more like S1 than like either parent, which
makes me wonder if S1bwh has unbalanced sets of chromosomes.

If it does (i.e., 2n=50), would it be more likely to produce "normal
tet' seeds by using pollen from it on modern tets instead of the other
way around like I've been trying?

Neil, others, have you done any/many crosses with 2n=50 tets and 2n=48
tets?

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8