Re: HYB: Ranks of Blue

Linda  --  I'm glad Ranks of Blue likes your soil.  It was bred in some of
the worst soil you can imagine (black muck and rocks), so it's a tough iris.
Now that I have it in good soil, it's rhizomes are, literally, as big as my
fist.  It is from the same cross as HAUNTING, i.e., (Holy Night x Best Bet)
x (Holy Night x Sweeter Than Wine), though it is not a sibling, so it has
rebloom genes.  I generally have not been swift to hybridize my own
seedlings (a mistake, but there you are), so I just this year have planted
out seedlings from crosses of ROB with :

a. 20P7:(Titan's Glory x G95W2:(Holy Night x Sweeter Than Wine))  --  This
is a partial cross back, as you can see.  Maybe a little more rebloomer
dosage.  20P7 has deep blue-violet stands and well-ruffled velvety
near-black falls.

b. 022C3:(985E1: (Torchlight Parade x Chinese Treasure) x Midnight
Moonlight)  --  I've attached a photo of 985E1, which, along with its
that I've ever gotten from a cross.

I also have just harvested seeds from crosses of ROB with:

a. 962L:(93RR6:(Margarita x Momauguin) x Best Bet) --  again, going back for
the rebloom, and also for some excellent branching

b. Brave New World  (just because I had the pollen and didn't want to waste
it)

So, this may give you some idea of what I'm trying to do with it.  --  Griff

zone 7 in Virginia