Re: Planting Patterns

Longue Vue House and Gardens in New Orleans is planning on organizing its Louisiana iris collection by year. That works because there is a nearly 100 yard long "Iris Walk" that is very linear, so a stroll along it will show the evolution of Louisianas from the species to most recent hybrids. However, that arrangement is obviously uniquely applicable to a large garden like Longue Vue. I personally think in terms of garden pictures rather than more structured arrangements such as may be of interest to a collector. I put tall irises to the back, short ones to the front and combine colors that I think look good together. I think a mass of one color makes an impact in a landscape, but I don't think I would have a section for reds, another for blues, and so forth. If you had all of one color together, it would make a color splash but not show off differences among the irises. I think a mixture of colors throughout the garden would show off the individual plant better and create a more interesting landscape, too.

Just some quick thoughts. Good luck.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jean Sturtevant" <jms1027@cableone.net>
To: <iris-digest@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 10:06 PM
Subject: [iris] Planting Patterns

I'm digging, thinning and replanting right now. And I'm wondering how other
irisarians plan where they plant or how they "group" irises together or in a
row. The most obvious that I can think of are by year, hybridizer, color,
Dykes, historics. Any ideas will be appreciated.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of IMSTP.gif]