To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:01 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] Planting Patterns

Jean -- If I had my "druthers" -- and I don't, because of space
limitations -- I'd plant irises in small beds scattered around the
yard/property and separated from each other by at least 3 feet, and I'd
plant the clumps in those beds at least 2 feet from each other. The idea
here is to give each variety enough room to display its charms without being
crowded by a competitor. This would be especially important if one decided
to group varieties by color. I'm reminded of a large yard in our region --
probably an acre and a half -- in which some beds are circular, perhaps
10-12 feet in diameter. In those beds, low shrubs are planted in the center
and the irises around the perimeter. Other beds are of various shapes and
sizes, with or without companion plants. With such an arrangement,
rebloomers could be kept together and easily be given the special treatment
they may need, and one might wish to group other irises by type, species,
growth habits or any other preference.