CAT: Ordering from Cayeux

In a message dated 8/16/05 2:40:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jgcrump@erols.com writes:

<<  Now, their online order form won't permit me to proceed until I list a
French phone number.  Sacre bleu!  The error message says that the phone number
"must contain five chars".  Since I am sure they are not talking about fish, I
assume that they are using the archaic term for "characters". >>

I think what you are seeing here is "char" being employed in
contradistinction to "numero," because all chars--meaning units-- will necessarily contain
more than one numero, or digit.

Why not plug in the phone number for the Societe Nationale d'Horticulture de
France in Paris? According to their webpage their five chars are:

01 44 39 78 78

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA