Re: CULT: RED IRISES

I'm not likely to be the one who does the actual production of an
anthocyanin red iris, as I do not have the tools and lab facilities
required.

There is a problem also--the idea, and the genetic sequence of the
particular enzyme I'm proposing used (dubbed F 3',5' H) happens to be under
patent already, and the proposal of how to use it in Iris as well as a
number of other genera is briefly mentioned in the patent document, even
though that part of the patented idea was not explored as such, but is
covered by the patent!

The US patent office gave away more than it realized, I think, in granting
the patent, which dealt with introducing this enzyme into species in genera
where it is lacking.

Blocking the enzyme, present in our irises, is only briefly suggested with a
comment on how it might be blocked.  Whether the technique would actually
work is another matter.

More about this will be in the article, as well as explaining what the "F
3',5' H" means.  The sequence of base pairs has been explored in several
unrelated species that have the enzyme, and all are nearly identical.  There
are about 1755 base-pairs in the sequence, give or take a few, and the
sequence is published.

Introducing the enzyme's DNA pattern into carnations and roses has already
been done, but didn't produce the "blue" expected, as Rick Ernst mentions in
one of his BAIS articles.  There's more to "blue" than this enzyme which
shifts anthocyanin from the trail leading to the scarlet red Pelargonidins
over to a track leading to our own Delphinidin pigment, Violanin.

The role of co-pigments is more important than one might think.  JANE
PHILLIPS, as I recall, tested out to LACK the "blue" Violanin, but was blue
because of the co-pigments and metal ion radicals alone.  That's why the
roses aren't blue, and the carnations, two of which are already on the
market, are mauve, not blue.  Their color, in any event, is startling!

I think this is the core of the article already.....just fleshing it out
with explanations and perhaps diagrams if I get permission to use those
already published by AIS in TWOI.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4 western NC mountains