Re: CULT: Red irises

In a message dated 8/20/05 7:06:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
loberg@adelphia.net writes:

<< Somehow, I think we'll be the same with red irises in a few years.  >>

You know, I wonder sometimes.

One hears about how the world of irises is champing at the bit for a true red
TB but I wonder if that is true, or whether red is a hybidizing goal
achievement of which may carry prestige in some circles but may not reflect the
highest desiderata of the greater iris buying public, whoever that is.

I am admittedly not of the mainstream in my tastes, but I could not care less
about a crayola red TB, myself, and I have not formed an impression that red
irises as they are currently known, or even variegatas, are among the more
popular color patterns. Wonder what people really do love, and yearn for? Is it

So if they get to red, what are they going to do for an encore? Red plicatas?
A red amoena? A red and black something? Something with purple foliage and
lacquer red blossom? That might be good. Some gory sunset blends? Richer pinks?
And then what? I don't think there is a whole lot of sustaining mystery in
primary red as a color. Maybe I'm wrong about its attractions.

Boring as it may sound, I personally hope some of the best energies of the
best minds are bent toward developing enhanced horticultural soundness in the
coming stuff. Of course, if people are committed to buying and growing only the
newest things, I guess they are yanking everything out of garden all the time
anyway, so that on the cutting edge of the hybridizer/consumer fandango maybe
there is no long haul as such.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA Zone 7