Re: REF: Patently Red, and the Archives

In a message dated 8/21/05 10:11:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< The Archives do hold lots of interesting information. But is persons on
this group are like myself, I view it as a conversation. This informal chat is
not approached with the same rigor as if I was writing an article. >>

I really think the informality of the arena is clearly apparent and generally
understood, Bob, and I certainly did not intend to offer unqualified
endorsement of all content in referring people to the Archives.The Archives are
nothing but the posts that have appeared on this list over the years in all their
unedited glory.

One should not assume that everything posted to this list, or found in the
Archives,  is authoritative or definitive on any subject, although the list has
had benefit of some remarkable expertise over the years, and I believe it has
tended to be pretty self-cleansing with regard to posts of unsound material.

And it seems to me that very few articles, or books, however rigorously
written, and austerely edited, and peer reviewed, are deemed to be the last word on
their subject into perpetuity, either.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA