Re: CULT: Red irises

    I think the general public usually looks for a good bargain.. and the
best price.   Initially, I doubt that a patented iris will be sold other
than in a catalog.   I do realize many buy their irises from a picture
alone... but I no longer buy any newer iris without seeing it growing well
in a couple of gardens... and I want it to have decent branching.    I
remember the first black I had... it had terrible branching and bud count
and it is long gone.

> << Somehow, I think we'll be the same with red irises in a few years.  >>
> You know, I wonder sometimes.
> One hears about how the world of irises is champing at the bit for a true
> TB but I wonder if that is true, or whether red is a hybidizing goal
> achievement of which may carry prestige in some circles but may not
reflect the
> highest desiderata of the greater iris buying public, whoever that is.
> I am admittedly not of the mainstream in my tastes, but I could not care
> about a crayola red TB, myself, and I have not formed an impression that
> irises as they are currently known, or even variegatas, are among the more
> popular color patterns. Wonder what people really do love, and yearn for?
Is it