Re: REF: Patently Red, and the Archives

If you hadn't told us, Bob, no one would ever have accused you of
affling.  --  Griff

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robt R Pries" <rpries@sbcglobal.net>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] REF: Patently Red, and the Archives

> I would like to both agree and disagree with Ahner. The Archives do hold
lots of interesting information. But is persons on this group are like
myself, I view it as a conversation. This informal chat is not approached
with the same rigor as if I was writing an article. Comments are often off
the top of my head and I dont do a fact check on their accuracy like I
would for something printed. If most of us thought about our thoughts being
recorded for posterity there would be even fewer posts to the list. I often
will have only a couple of minutes to put my two cents in and often messages
sent on the fly have many typos. That is probably a good  barometer as to
how much was just blurted out. For example at the moment I am preparing this
while a waffle finishes cooking. Oops I smell something burning.

> ChatOWhitehall@aol.com wrote:In a message dated 8/20/05 11:15:12 PM
Eastern Daylight Time,
> pharcher@mindspring.com writes:
>
> << Well as far as patenting irises goes, none have been patented to date.
>>

> Actually, this is not accurate. Modern bearded irises have indeed been
> patented, including 'Giant Rose', which I believe was the first, but the
practice
> fell out of favor, or otherwise fizzled, for various reasons, not least of
which
> was consumer disdain.
>
> There are some very interesting discussions both of breeding for "red"
> irises, and also of "patenting irises" in the Archives of this venerable
list. To
> search for posts on the latter, go to the Archives at
> <>, then go to the Search page. Select all the years, use
> "patent" as the search term, and roll the number of responses up to the
maximum to
> retrieve. You may also find it useful to do another search using
"patented" or
> "patenting" or "patents." Bill Shear had some useful things to say on the
> subject as I recall.
>
> Make very sure you select the earliest five or six years of the list, for
> there are many wonderful and informed discussions of all sorts of things
to be
> found there. Indeed, if you find yourself yearning for some fine Iris-talk
> action but not enough seems to be coming down the pipeline some days, or
the only
> discussions going are things that do not interest you, or are being
carried on
> by folks who drive you up the wall, the Archives are always a great place
> visit for amusement, or to check up on a subject of interest.
>
> Whether you are interested in finding out the requirements for starting
seeds
> of some Iris species, or reading up on some good companion plants, or
getting
> up to speed on some society squabble, or thinking about historic diploids
as
> garden treasures, or refreshing your memory on definitions of rebloom, or
> seeing what has been posted about color charts, or Punnet squares, or
aesthetics,
> or better and lesser cultivar names, or better and lesser cultivars, or
the
> relationship between borers and evergreens, or borers and native irises,
or
> about larcenous crows, or lists of people's all time best growing irises,
or the
> ethics of gleaning feral historic irises, or Murphy's oil soap in the
garden,
> or frost protection, or gypsum as a dubious soil conditioner in the East,
or
> the reliability of some Iris book, or how to solarize your soil, well...
one
> might chatter on until tomorrow and still not begin to exhaust the rich
potential
> of a leisurely romp in the Archives.
>
> I visit often to enjoy posts by former members whom I miss, or to refresh
my
> memory on some point, or tap into the collective genius, or partake again
of
> the sheer rollicking merriment of the list in its early days, and later as
> well, of course. Whether it is Clarence on poetry, or Sharon on
hybridizing, or
> Lowe on pedigrees of historics, or Walta with his splendid wit, or Ian
talking
> about his dog going nutz that day, to say nothing of others of us rattling
on
> about any and all subjects, thinking aloud, having our say, you will
surely
> find fun, enlightenment, and even a few lingering mysteries, in the
Archives.