Re: Re: CULT: HYB: growability

In a message dated 8/22/2005 11:10:37 A.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<<So I'm always interested in hearing what has done really well  in other
places>>
Over 20 years, I've raised irises in 3 different places.  All have  been
within a 15 mile radius.

Irises that did well in Alvaton, about 8 miles down the road, do not ALWAYS
do well here.  If the identification is right, HINDENBURG is going great
here, but died out rather quickly in Alvaton.  Haven't seen it bloom here  yet.
(Just an example)

October Sky is on both sides of my garden.  One was established in the  fall
of 2003 and is growing well.  The other was set last summer and most  of it
died.

I'm growing 2 rhizomes of one of Linda's seedlings.  One clump bloomed  this
year and is doing great. Growing like a house afire.  The other clump,  only a
few inches away, is sobbing.

Almost no rain.  I had some rot early in the spring . . . but I'm not
complaining!

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: