Re: CULT: Red irises

<<Boring as it may sound, I personally hope some of the best energies of the

best minds are bent toward developing enhanced horticultural soundness in
the

coming stuff. Of course, if people are committed to buying and growing only
the

newest things, I guess they are yanking everything out of garden all the
time

anyway, so that on the cutting edge of the hybridizer/consumer fandango
maybe

there is no long haul as such.>>

Anner and list,

I most certainly agree with your statement above.  Horticulture is the
business we are in and plants are what we grow and we can't cultivate them
if they don't want to be cultivated.  However beautiful in a picture in the
breeder's garden, many recent introductions have flopped in my tumultuous
Midwestern climate and refuse to grow.  I don't blame this necessarily on
the cultivar but don't necessarily blame my climate either.  If something
truly catches my eye as beautiful I would at least welcome it's
proliferation into my growing space.

A point which I also like to take up is the position of the iris in the
world of horticulture.  Too often the general garden public has such a
narrow view of the immense work produced by our breeders, something I find
rather disheartening considering the excellent cultivars available.  I feel
that a considerable amount of effort should be placed on educating the
public and promoting the newer cultivars as horticultural materials not
collectors pieces.

Just a few random thoughts from this sunburned mind.

Horticulturally,

Kelly D. Norris

Master Gardener

Feature Columnist, Garden & Greenhouse