Re: CULT: ?huge vs small rhizomes

I'd agree on the "water" verdict.  The stuff from Schreiner's, Superstition,
Suttons, etc. always gets an ample supply of water, and they all watch the
soil fertility as well.  When I've gotten rhizomes from Riverview Iris
Gardens, which is in very dry Idaho, they look very small and undernourished
by comparison, yet they always grow just as well and produce both flowers and
increase just as soon as the big things from the far west coast.    It's
misleading to look only at the size of the rhizome in hopes of predicting the
yield.  I like to receive those big, muscular rhizomes, but the wimpy-looking
ones grow just as well in the long run.

Arnold

Arnold & Carol Koekkoek
38 7th Street, NE