Re: CULT: ?huge vs small rhizomes

I think there are a lot of factors involved. I am not sure water is
one of them. I have some monster rhizomes here this year and they have only
gotten the water that mother nature provided--according to the weaher
people we have gotten 7.8 inches since May 1, and that is about 1" more than
rain gauge has tallied. Temps have been harsh as well, with 30 days over 90
There has been a lot of sun. One thing they get more of (in most years) on
the left coast is
sun, and more intense sun than the midwest. We have had extreme UV readings
here this

I am sure fertilizer plays a role, especially phosphorus and potassium. When
a bed is dug
it gets a nice dose of triple superphosphate (0-45-0) and muriate of potash
(0-0-63). The
pH is slightly acidic at about 6.5, which is good for uptake of these
nutrients. Rhizomes
are modified stems, and those are good eats for stems. The weeds have been
minimal this
season, so competition for nutrients has been virtually nonexistent.

Crowded, mature clumps tend towards smaller rhizomes. Big nurseries dig
every year, so there is no

Genetics also come into play. Some varieties grow larger rhizomes than

There are probably some other factors in play as well, these are the first
that came to mind.

John Bruce
SW OH, zone 5b