Re: [CULT] Green (was Red)

In a message dated 8/23/05 12:20:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, appleb@cut.net
writes:

<< I'm just curious in what ways irisarians might be more green.  I assume
it's about use of anti-fungals, pesticides, herbicides and such.  >>

Well, certainly about reaching for those commodities as a first rather than a
last resort, but also about remembering the parts of the AIS bylaws which
speak of conservation of Iris species in the wild, with all that implies. It is
about enhanced and informed sensitivity to our relationship with, and impact
upon, the environment.

Personal values and choices, geographical pragmatics, and economics come into
play in any such discussion, but I really do think the Society should not be
timid about revisiting some of its traditional presumptions and approaches to
various horticultural issues and public concerns, especially any which are
arguably archaic or counterproductive. Perhaps we should start by rethinking the
definition of an excellent iris.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA