Re: CULT: HYB: growability

Neil Mogensen wrote:
> My borers and rot this year have given me a boost
> toward that goal, as there are some varieties not
> only surviving, but thriving.
> Oddly, some of those that grow best for me fail
> entirely for Linda, even though she and I share
> similar climates, and to a lesser extent, soils.
> Her locus is a zone warmer than mine, more subject
> to spring frosts, but both of us suffer from winter
> damage due to activation of the plants in warm
weeks,
> with hard frosts following with little time for the
> plants to adjust.  The Mediterranean-ancestry TB
> tetraploids suffer the most, the diploids survive.

> Borer resistance may be a pipedream, but some
> varieties are devastated, others almost or entirely
> untouched.  I have a hard time thinking this is
> anything other than a genetic difference.  My future

> breeders are the ones that have survived this
> dreadful past two years.

Hello Neil,
I just finished reading your response to Linda,
listing some tetraploids that have done better than
average for you. I'm definitely taking note of those.
But I'd be even more interested to know which diploids
you've noticed are best able to shrug off the local
problems, especially the borers [my most persistant
problem].
Thanks, Tom
http://mail.yahoo.com