Re: CULT: HYB: growability

Tom, the only diploids I have here by name are Baumunk's Petit Lion,
*pallida* Loppio, the MTB Carolyn Rose  and a possible Princess Beatrice--at
least it is a tall pallida of the sort of PB--in addition to your Clown
Pants.

All of them have had foliage burn from the rain, but the Princess Beatrice
(or look-alike) has the warmest, dryest location with lots of hot sun (when
it does shine) reflected, as well, from a building behind it.  It looks
completely normal, and never has seemed to have borer.  It hasn't been reset
in at least the five years we've been here on the property, and probably not
for many years before that.  It just keeps on keeping on.

Clown Pants has no rot, no borer evidence, even though surrounding plants
did show some damage.  The small *pallida* Loppio
has suffered from rain, but not borer.  Neither Petit Lion nor Peyrard's
timofejewii x variegata have escaped having a lot of bald rhizomes with
leaves lost, but have plenty of growth surviving anyway.

The small diploid *astrachanika*Kal. from B. Warburton has also suffered,
but survives.

The two NOIDS, one a pallida-height but variegata-type foliage, bloom, bract
and branching blend with butterfly veining looks great, as does the
variegata-height, pallida-type bitone blue diploid BB I "collected" in
Milwaukee at my step-son's place.  Neither had borer damage that I could
see, but the surrounding irises, in mixed borders, did not have any either.
Only the solid iris plantings seemed to have much borer damage, despite a
lot of hand-work to eliminate what was spotted early.

May that say something of the value of mixed perennial borders?

We continue to get copious rain, but the forecast is for a few dry days
later this week.  I hope.  Promises, promises.  I have weeds that need a
little drying out in order to get rid of.  Trying to weed when it is so wet
just moves them around.

Neil Mogensen  z 7 Reg 4  western NC mountains