Re: CULT: HYB: growability

Neil Mogensen wrote:
> the possible Princess Beatrice... looks
> completely normal, and never has seemed to have
> borer. It hasn't been reset in at least the five
> years we've been here on the property, and probably
> not for many years before that.
> Clown Pants has no rot, no borer evidence, even
> though surrounding plants did show some damage.
> The small *pallida* Loppio has suffered from rain,
> but not borer.

Hello again Neil and thanks very much for your reply,
It's good that you're getting out to at least SEE your
irises even if it's too wet to do anything else.
I'm glad to hear that Clown Pants is doing so well for
you. It's been pretty carefree for me too. I'm also
glad to hear that Loppio hasn't suffered borers, since
I used a similar pallida/cengialtii type (I think it
was designated K23A - from Terry Varner) as pollen
parent of my current favorite batch of Clown Pants
seedlings. I did lose my K23A though, and I think it
was due to borers. So, maybe it isn't as tough as
Loppio. I'm pretty sure Lowell Baumunk has that
Loppio, so I'll have to remember to include it in my
order next year.

I'm guessing from what you wrote that your possible
Princess Beatrice clone was a NOID already growing at
your house when you moved in. In that case, you'd be
the only source for it. So... if your rain ever lets
up and you're feeling up to sending me even the
smallest little stray rhizome, I'd be very happy to
hybridize with it. :0)

On a somewhat related note, I'm curious if you or
Linda Mann have tried growing any Iris aphylla clones.
I'd read somewhere that they're supposed to be
relatively borer resistant, but I've never had much
luck keeping any of them alive for very long. I've got
one seedling (a half aphylla rebloomer from Rosalie
Figge X Wine Red) that seems to be doing OK. Although,
if I neglected it, it would probably suffer as much as
it's siblings -- ugh, they're not a pretty sight.

And on another similar note, didn't you once mention
Fogbound and kin as being a little better than average
as far as borers go. I have Honky Tonk Blues (it's a
relative isn't it) which I bought it because the
purple on the foliage bases and spathes was so nice.
It's been in its pot for two years (I finally just
planted it), and it hasn't had any borer problems. I
had first thought that maybe being potted had
something to do with it (or a heavy application of
pesticide at the nursery). But then again, pots don't
stop the borers from devouring some of my other irises
and it's been two years so I would think the
pesticides would have worn off. Maybe it's just been
lucky. Or...??

Well, thanks again for the reply.
Take care, Tom