]Re: CULT: HYB: growability

Tom, the sequence of relationships goes like this---Honky Tonk Blues to
Wishful Thinking to Fogbound to numerous other top quality things.

I'm not growing HTB, but have heard it is borer resistant.  I have never
seen the slightest indication of borer activity with Wishful Thinking, and
with Fogbound, I did find ONE fan with problems this year, the first
indication of any susceptibility on its part so far.

I do have one other HTB offspring--SKYWALKER.  It is healthy, but not
entirely free of problems.  It is a persistant survivor in several locations
around the gardens--none of the locations ideal for iris.

On my Fogbound seedlings or on the Keppel offspring, I don't recall any
borer damage so far.  Among the top performers, I overlooked mentioning
VENETIAN GLASS and CRYSTAL GAZER.  No rot, no borer on either.  Even the
foliage on Venetian Glass is great, clean and green.  I can say the same
with R 19-2, Power Woman x Fogbound, which is looking for a name.  I have
lost only one fan to rot, but no foliage disease, nor borer have been noted.
I've sent most of the stock to Denise Stewart in Oregon at Snowpeak.

On the Ghio Fogbound offspring, I haven't looked closely, as I'd have to
wade a sea of mud at the moment to get out to them.  The others I can
evaluate are near paved drive or lawn so I can see and evaluate closely.

I do have one other diploid, incidentally, an apparently pure *pallida,*
very slender stem, but too tall by a good measure for an MTB.  It is a near
total loss with borer damage.  The location is bad!  I need to rescue it,
clean it up and plant in a more iris-oriented location.

On the PB look-alike, I will get two or three rhizomes dug for you later
this week.  E-mail me privately your address (I may have it, but am not
sure.)

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4 western NC mountains