Re: [CULT] Green (was Red)

I was thinking along the lines of Arils for Utah as well.

I think there are many species of Iris and related plants that would
thrive in much of Utah.  Many would probably even grow well with no extra
care at all, in the native soils (at least once established).  Of course
different parts of Utah are different, and that is somewhat of a
consideration, high mountain areas would likely do better best with things
that are thriving in places like New England.

But back to most of Utah.  There are probably many Aril species, as well
as bulbous, Junos, and even some beardless that would thrive.  There has
been good luck in places in Colorado, and I've heard (was it through this
group) of somebody planting Arils in strips between sidewalks and streets
where they weren't getting any care at all, and they were thriving (I
think it was in Pueblo).  Other people plant them in rockeries with cacti,
and they do well.

Many of the really popular groups of Iris are from climates with cooler,
moister, and often more acid conditions, and many breeders work under
similar conditions, so many cultivars and species do not like much of Utah
(or surrounding states) without a lot of help.  However, there are also
bearded, spuria, and probably other groups with species and cultivars that
manage to survive without any help at all (once established) in climates
like Utah.  Some that come to mind are I. pallida (several cultivars), I.
x germanica (several cultivars), several old tall bearded types (Indian
Chief is always number one on the list, but there are lots of others), and
I. orientalis (or whatever the proper name is now - this one will reseed
on its own).  I occasionally see a bright yellow spuria which has survived
for decades in some places too, but I never sat down and figured out for
certain which species or cultivar it is.  For breeding for climates like
Utah, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico, northern Arizona, etc., it seems there
is lots of material to work with, and lots of potential for new lines of
cultivars that are more adapted to such climates (even with little or no
extra care).