Re: [CULT]arils

I have about a dozen arils growing in an area that gets no watering, and they still have green leaves on them, but aren't growing; just sitting.
Pat in Dallas

From: Kent Appleberry <appleb@cut.net>
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] [CULT] Green (was Red)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:16:06 -0600

Those are good suggestions, Robert. I think arilbreds and maybe arils would do well here, and I had in mind to order some this year, but I ran out of time. I hope to try some next year. The ones that go dormant in the summer present some problems in terms of creating holes in the garden, but no worse than my oriental poppies. The photos I've seen of arils and arilbreds are very attractive.

I'm also interested in species iris that would do well here, but haven't found out much about that yet because, as you say, they aren't often seen.

Sanpete County, Utah

Robt R Pries wrote:

Kent: It is hard to know your microclimates but it has always amazed me how few people are growing the arils and arilbreds in dry climates. The many species from climates like yours are rarely seen either.

Kent Appleberry <appleb@cut.net> wrote:In my arid area, an environmentally excellent iris would be one that didn't require extra water to thrive. Might also help if it didn't require fertilizer, since there can be environmental issues with that. What did you have in mind? Iris that aren't so susceptible to disease and pests, so they won't need chemical aids?

Sanpete County, Utah