Re: MTB: I. Pallida Variegata

DFerguson@cabq.gov wrote:
<< It is interesting the differences in how these variegated Iris pallida do
for different people in different areas. Here in central NM, I have
always had the white one - 'Argentea' grow much stronger, healthier, and
flower better than the yellowish one - 'Variegata' (= 'Zebra' in many
listings). >>

Dave,

Here in northern Utah my experience with these two cultivars has been almost diametrically opposite to yours. ARGENTEA (which I have grown for 10 years) has the characteristics of an MTB with stalks heights of 21" to 23" (except this year, when the stalks reached 27") and PALLIDA VARIEGATA (which I have grown for 17 years) is a consistent TB with stalk heights between 31" and 37", and a similar difference in bloom size to match. The flowers on ARGENTEA are a somewhat deeper shade of blue-violet than those on P. VARIEGATA, which tend to be rather pale. P. VARIEGATA is a much stronger grower and faster increaser than ARGENTEA. In fact, I have not yet felt compelled to divide the latter in the 10 years I have grown it.

Jeff Walters                                                                                                                    in northern Utah (USDA Zone 4)

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)