CULT: HYB: Good Irises

Anner's comments suggesting candor in introducing an iris is a suggestion
worthy of much thought.

One of the things required in effecting the candor she suggests is to have
at least a two-year guest trial of the proposed introduction in the various
climates in which the cultivar might be expected to thrive.

That delays introduction, but does offer the opportunity for the
refreshingly candid comments one might make, such as " Wingding Gidget has
performed admirably in northern Mississippi, eastern Nebraska, Iowa, western
Oregon as well as in its birth-home of western North Carolina.  It has not
been tried in warm and wonderful southern California or in the very warm
coastal Southeast, so its expected performance there is still unknown.

"Even though short on budcount and branching on the single stem, the variety
tends to put up numerous bloomstalks displaying its richly colorful and
substantial bloom from its vigorous and numerous annual increases, rendering
the variety a colorful addition to the perennial bed.  It does not, however,
produce individual show stalks likely to garner high awards for the

Thankfully, there are gardens all over the nation, and abroad, that would
cheerfully give the seedling a two-year run and report faithfully on the
grower's experience with it.  How else could one garner the kind of
information Anner suggests in the "candid" introduction?

Needless to say, I am intrigued by her suggestion.  Roses have to go through
trials in many areas.  Why not irises too?

Yes they do vary in their genetic adaptation to climates, as the various
diploid and tetraploid ancestors of our modern sorts are scattered from
western Europe to Kashmir, and from Israel and Cyprus to Poland and the
Ukraine.  Those adapted to the many and varied marine, Mediterranean and
continental climates vary deeply in their makeup and behavior.  The advanced
generation hybrids can be remarkably unpredictable in how they will perform
in high and dry Albuquerque, mild and wet Salem, OR, wildly variable
Kentucky to North Carolina, or the wonderfully clean but cold Quebec and New
Hampshire.  Without trials, one never knows.

Would "Wingding Gidget" sell?  Probably not at $45 or more....but it would
be a fun iris to own, I would think.

Would I buy it?  I might if its color and ancestry drew my attention.  I
would probably pass over it if the ancestry were not of those known to
perform well here.

Neil Mogensen  z 7, Reg 4   western NC mountains