Re: [CULT] Green (was Red)

Robert, I'm at about 6,000 feet, in a small valley between foothills. The USDA zone is 4b or 5a, sometimes with lack of snow cover for part of the wimter. Spring is wet enough, often through June, summers are generally dry, often without any significant rain until September. Summer highs are generally in the 90s and 80s, almost always cooling to the 60s or 50s at night. Often a late freeze in June, first freeze often by October 1st. Drainage in my yard is generally very good. Soil varies a lot, but it's generally alkaline out here.

I've had some older noid TBs from other Utah gardens for ten years or so that require basically no care at all except for weeding, though dividing them doesn't hurt.

Sanpete County, Utah

Robt R Pries wrote:

Kent if you can provide some yearly rainfall data and elevation for your area we could give some advice as to what you would need to do to grow a particular plant. Iris are very tolerant and you live in an area that has potential to grow some very unusual things.

Kent Appleberry <appleb@cut.net> wrote:These are encouraging observations. I hope to try these drought tolerant iris, along with their more thirsty cousins, since even a TB bred and selected in rainy western Oregon can survive with little summer water if needed. I think! I'll know more about how much water they need here in a year or two.

Kent Appleberry