Re: MTB: I. Pallida Variegata

Hi Jeff,

I have a feeling that cultural practices might make a huge difference in
how these Iris respond.  I get the idea from lots of comments read and
heard over the years that 'Variegata' is potentially the faster more
vigorous plant.  However it would seem that 'Argentea' handles heat, dry,
and poor soils (of the western alkaline mineral sorts) better.  Since mine
aren't babied much, the 'Argentea' does better.  For me they are both
rather slow, but 'Argentea' increases consistently while 'Variegata' tends
to barely maintain the status-quo, sometimes increasing for a few years
just to fall back one year.

Interestingly the plantings I made (both in the same beds) at the Botanic
Garden in Albuquerque are in richer soil, get more water, but still the
'Argentea' (after only two years) seems to be the stronger of the two.  On
the flip side, in Fort Collins, Colorado I had marginally better results
with 'Variegata'.

You wouldn't think that n. Utah and n. Colorado would be enough different
from central NM to make much difference in how they perform, but perhaps
the heat of summer is just enough more intense here (at least on average
over the length of the summer).