Re: CULT: HYB: Good Irises

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>

Concerning gardens willing to guest an iris for evaluation, Betty W.
comments, "A good option in theory. Not so great in practice."

Betty, it sounds like you've had some experience with this. Are you willing
to say more? I think a number of us might be curious.

I sent two seedlings to a certain judge to see what they thought of them. Both were TB's and the last I heard they were still in a pot after 3 years.

I donated one of my first introductions for the banquet auction at our regional last year. I had the opinion that I did it to make money for the region not the post office. No effort was made to get a bid just gave it away. Had to pay to ship it. I guess because they had never heard of me it was not worthy of the time. Two $.99 photo albums were well worthy of the time as well as a plastic snowman.

6 pots of Christata brought $48. And a hosta and a hardy geranium brought another $18 so all was not lost. So I did bring in $66.

I sent seedling other places with good results. They have not had time to evaluate them yet.

66 fans of 10 seedlings were sent this year to several Regionals and the National for 2007.

Mike Greenfield
Zone 5b
SW Ohio
Region 6