Re: CULT: HYB: Good Irises

In a message dated 8/25/05 12:21:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<< One of the things required in effecting the candor she suggests is to have
 at least a two-year guest trial of the proposed introduction in the various
climates in which the cultivar might be expected to thrive.>>

Well, while all that might be the way to go in an ideal world, I don't think
it is practicable for AIS, nor, in the final analysis, absolutely necessary.
In fact, that is precisely the sort of idea which I am not putting forth.

I believe that if, in an attempt to be comprehensive, a scheme is made very
large, or complex, or subtle, or protracted, or costly, it will likely fail,
regardless of how well intended. Moreover, I think that whereas the hybridizers
and their work are very important to AIS and to all of us, hybridizing and
awards should not be the focus of AIS to the near exclusion of all other
concerns, including those we have been discussing. In fact, I think too narrow focus
may be part of the problem.

I am interested in the idea of changes which may be effected through very
simple means by individuals who, sensitive to the concerns we have been
discussing, independently take steps in what they perceive to be the most constructive
direction toward improving the situation.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA