Re: CULT: HYB: Good Irises

In a message dated 8/25/05 1:04:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< Years ago AIS had test gardens around the country. There still is the
Loomis Test Garden. I suggest that this is still a useful idea. The Cornell
Plantations produced the Austin Sands evaluations that have served as history
descriptions of the irises of there time. Even if one needs take growability with a
grain of salt I think the resulting written, published reports from test
gardens have proved valuable. >>

It is my understanding that the official AIS trial gardens were discontinued
because the hybridizers allegedly did not support them. I have heard no
suggestions as to why that support was not forthcoming.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA