AIS:HYB:Test Gardens

In a message dated 8/25/2005 8:44:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ChatOWhitehall@aol.com writes:

<<Moreover, I think that whereas the hybridizers
and their  work are very important to AIS and to all of us, hybridizing and
awards  should not be the focus of AIS to the near exclusion of all other
concerns, including those we have been discussing. In fact, I think too
narrow focus
may be part of the problem.>>

It is good to remember that the AIS membership reflects a fairly wide
variety of interests.  Most of us expect our interests to be addressed  under the
AIS umbrella.

Within our small local society, we have garden club members working for
points with their designs, show addicts fighting for Best Specimen at the  yearly
show, iris collectors, and alas, even a couple  of hybridizers!

Without plant breeders (hybridizers) working toward advancements we'd be
reduced to trading the species among ourselves.  While this is a worthy  endeavor
for those so inclined, it would be seen as limiting for many.

Perhaps, as a person whose iris focus becomes more narrow each year, I may
be considered too biased to address this further.  <vbg>

But that has never stopped me before!

Back to the question of iris testing!  Trial gardens in various  locations
and climates would be great!  But, it's never going to  happen.  Our club
maintains a display garden with around 300 irises.   Some are removed and others
added each year.  It is maintained as a fund  raiser for the club.  I am of the
opinion that the club would not put this  energy into a test garden.

Some people think hybridizers are getting rich from their  introductions.
Not true!  Several years ago, I did a  limited marketing study on iris sales.
(Marketing class) The large  breeders make money from the wholesale part of
their business!  The  small hybridizer goes broke!  Seriously, many don't recover
their  expenses.

Part of the answer may live in the local convention gardens.  When we  send
irises to these conventions, we are allowed the option to have the  convention
irises remain in that area to be sold at their auctions/sales.   If an iris
didn't survive in that area, it won't be in the sale.

Could Rita or someone with recent experience address these sales?   Please
and thank you.  <bg>

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: