Re: HYB: CULT: my trials...

What I'm doing to trial some of my seedlings is send them to a few
people in the region range that I'm breeding for - some to local club
members (so far so good), some a bit east, some a bit south, some a bit
north, and occasionally elsewhere.

So far, I've only had enough of seedlings from one or two crosses to
send around.

So far, good feedback for one seedling from local club members, not so
good for the others or ones sent farther away.  My seedlings are
selected in excessively drained soil, & seem to be more prone to rot in
soils with more normal drainage. :-(

Since my goal is to produce good healthy, reliable garden irises, I
don't want to introduce anything that won't at least be reliable in this
general area.

Unless something proves to be especially useful as a breeder or has some
other trait others might be interested in.

I did send a start of my sometimes rotting and highly leaf spot prone
floriferous but small flowered orange to MidAmerica for trial last
year.  Paul says it hasn't bloomed yet, but is doing well.  It's one I
would <not> recommend, but what will I do with it, if it is wonderful in
iris heaven?

I have only sent plants to one convention.  "Rules" say only send plants
that have either been introduced or are under serious consideration for
introduction.  Mine won't reach that level any time soon and will  trial
them locally first.

If I ever introduce and/or sell my kids, I will <definitely> do what you
are suggesting, Anner.  Share what I know about their performance and
why I've chosen to introduce them.

Only a few hybridizers, mostly pollen daubers from this forum, plus a
very few "real" (established) hybridizers, have been brave enough to
send their seedlings or introductions to me for trial.  Christy Hensler
sent me ICE CREAM SOCIAL especially to see how it would hold up to the
load of leaf spot it would be exposed to here.  It did great.  Some of
Betty's kids have done really well here, as has one of Donald Eaves'
"Schreiner blue" seedlings (better than most "real" Schreiner blues
<g>).  Tom Parkhill gives me all of his intros as soon as he has enough
- so far, CHIEF JOHN JOLLY has been the best of his introductions here,
but I haven't had it long.  He gave me two tiny starts of VOLUNTEER
ORANGE to try - I'm not holding my breath on that one - both parents
(HINDENBURG and GOOD SHOW) are poor here, but these little bits are
growing roots like mad and look good so far.  Walter Moores keeps
sending me his kids - so far, all have lived, but none have really been
thrilled to be here.  I have great hopes for his PANSY PARADE, since
both parents are at least ok here, and INTO THE NIGHT is very good.

I have so many of my own kids to keep up with now, I don't have time or
energy to trial a lot of things, but do try to report back on the few I
do take on.
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8