From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Linda
Mann
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:40 AM
To: iris- talk
Subject: [iris] Re: HYB: CULT: my trials...

What I'm doing to trial some of my seedlings is
send them to a few people in the region range that
I'm breeding for - some to local club members (so
far so good), some a bit east, some a bit south,
some a bit north, and occasionally elsewhere.

So far, I've only had enough of seedlings from one
or two crosses to send around.

So far, good feedback for one seedling from local
club members, not so good for the others or ones
sent farther away.  My seedlings are selected in
excessively drained soil, & seem to be more prone
to rot in soils with more normal drainage. :-(

Since my goal is to produce good healthy, reliable
garden irises, I don't want to introduce anything
that won't at least be reliable in this general
area.

Unless something proves to be especially useful as
a breeder or has some other trait others might be
interested in.

I did send a start of my sometimes rotting and
highly leaf spot prone floriferous but small
flowered orange to MidAmerica for trial last year.
Paul says it hasn't bloomed yet, but is doing
well.  It's one I would <not> recommend, but what
will I do with it, if it is wonderful in iris
heaven?

I have only sent plants to one convention.
"Rules" say only send plants that have either been
introduced or are under serious consideration for
introduction.  Mine won't reach that level any
time soon and will  trial them locally first.

If I ever introduce and/or sell my kids, I will
<definitely> do what you are suggesting, Anner.
Share what I know about their performance and why
I've chosen to introduce them.

Only a few hybridizers, mostly pollen daubers from
this forum, plus a very few "real" (established)
hybridizers, have been brave enough to send their
seedlings or introductions to me for trial.
Christy Hensler sent me ICE CREAM SOCIAL
especially to see how it would hold up to the load
of leaf spot it would be exposed to here.  It did
great.  Some of Betty's kids have done really well
here, as has one of Donald Eaves' "Schreiner blue"
seedlings (better than most "real" Schreiner blues
<g>).  Tom Parkhill gives me all of his intros as
soon as he has enough
- so far, CHIEF JOHN JOLLY has been the best of
his introductions here, but I haven't had it long.
He gave me two tiny starts of VOLUNTEER ORANGE to
try - I'm not holding my breath on that one - both
parents (HINDENBURG and GOOD SHOW) are poor here,
but these little bits are growing roots like mad
and look good so far.  Walter Moores keeps sending
me his kids - so far, all have lived, but none
have really been thrilled to be here.  I have
great hopes for his PANSY PARADE, since both
parents are at least ok here, and INTO THE NIGHT
is very good.

I have so many of my own kids to keep up with now,
I don't have time or energy to trial a lot of
things, but do try to report back on the few I do
take on.
-
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society