Re: AIS:HYB:Test Gardens

In a message dated 8/26/2005 7:24:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:

Part of  the answer may live in the local convention gardens.  When we  send
irises to these conventions, we are allowed the option to have the
convention
irises remain in that area to be sold at their  auctions/sales.   If an iris
didn't survive in that area, it  won't be in the sale.

Could Rita or someone with recent  experience address these sales?   Please
and thank you.   <bg>

Hybridizers get very important benefits contributing their irises to
Conventions-both national and Regional.  First they get to see how well  their intros
do in other climates (barring weather problems) and hopefully get  feedback
from the guest iris chair at the end of the second and third years as  to how
well they did by garden.

Then, many hyrbridizers leave their stock to be sold at Auction/sales and a
variety will get good distribution for no cost and effort. (Betty, Theme
Master  was like that-grew like gangbusters and was widely distributed as was
Christy  Hensler's Ice Cream Social and since we had pictures of the Convention
irises,  which is VERY important, they generated a lot of interest!

As an aside, we have had pictures of most of our auction/sale irises for
several years and members and the general public now get indignant if we don't
have a picture for a particular iris!  Hybridizers are urged to send  digital
pictures with their Guest Irises which follows Bob Pries unrelenting  quest for
illustrated checklists!  If a convention doe not methodically  take constant
pictures (as we did) they are missing great sales  opportunities.  Even
convention attendees don't get to see the early/late  bloomers and miss an
opportunitiy to see them growing and blooming - which was  the case with scores of
gorgeous Siberians for this convention!   Fortunately they are all on our
convention CD!

More than you wanted to know, I'll bet!

Rita  Gormley
Gormley Greenery