Re: MTB: I. Pallida Variegata

In a message dated 8/24/05 11:45:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jeffwiris@yahoo.com writes:

<< ARGENTEA (which I have grown for 10 years) has the characteristics of an
MTB with stalks heights of 21" to 23" (except this year, when the stalks
reached 27") and PALLIDA VARIEGATA (which I have grown for 17 years) is a consistent
TB with stalk heights between 31" and 37", and a similar difference in bloom
size to match. The flowers on ARGENTEA are a somewhat deeper shade of
blue-violet than those on P. VARIEGATA, which tend to be rather pale. P. VARIEGATA is
a much stronger grower and faster increaser than ARGENTEA. In fact, I have not
yet felt compelled to divide the latter in the 10 years I have grown it. >>

I have wept for the crappy performance in my yard of 'Argentea.' I love blue
foliage in the garden, which features a lot of white and silver and dark
green, and I have tried repeatedly to keep this plant happy and failed. The last
time I scored a potted specimen that had a splendid fat rhizome, a real yam, two
or three eager looking increases started, and several bold fans with wide
thick foliage, but, sure enough, within three years I had the familiar whisps of
foliage and a bad case of LSR--lima sized rhizome. I'll pick up another plant
like that f I see one, and enjoy it for a season or two, but I have no
remaining illusions.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USDA Zone 7-urban