AIS:HYB:Test Gardens

There is such a difference in an AIS test garden and trialing a
few irises for hybridizers in one's own garden. The attendees at
the last Denver convention saw the Loomis 'test' garden in CO.
By and large, almost nothing was doing well (to my eye) even
those irises from in-region hybridizers.

Trialing: At present I am trialing a few Japanese irises for a
hybridizer that lives in Oregon. I have trialed all classes of
bearded from various regions and I always sent reports to the
hybridizer which is the only reason to trial a seedling. The
digital age has made it so convenient to send photos which I
think ranks up there with the text report.

*This can't be overstated for those in Zone 3 to those in more
warmer climes (which is everyone else on this list): cold is not
an enemy of irises with reliable snow cover. Irises grow and
bloom well in my mountainous, acid soil. Just takes longer to
see good bloom because of the shorter growing season.

Ellen (will not trial TBs since I grow too many already for my
level of interest)

Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris
Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
Siberian iris list archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/