Re: OT: pests

In a message dated 8/26/05 11:31:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jgcrump@erols.com writes:

<< I'm glad to hear you say that, Anner.  Several years ago, I saw a parakeet
 among a flock of birds in my yard, and everyone to whom I mentioned it tried
 to explain to me that it wasn't what I saw.  --  Griff >>

Pfui. Like one does not know a parakeet when one sees one!

I was sitting on the deck waiting for my hummingbird Beep to come to his
freshly filled feeder and, suddenly, to the left, at the edge of my line of sight,
was a flash of bright yellow. I turned, and saw two birds sitting on the top
of the fence, a fine yellow/green/blue parakeet, and a sparrow, together.

The sparrow hopped down to the ground and started pecking around among the
formosa lilies in the border. The parakeet stayed at the top of the fence,
leaning over to watch. After a bit--and the sparrow was just futzing around,
clearly, anyone could see that-- the parakeet paced along the fence about a foot or
so, and looked down again. Then the sparrow flew back, and the parakeet,
walked to where the sparrow was, cursing a birdie blue streak, and otherwise
indicating it was highly annoyed. Then they both flew off together. I think it was
an abusive relationship.

All of this is true.