Re: HYB: AIS: Trial Garden Idea

Paul; I believed you missed my point; I noted that there are two purposes. Different goals require different approaches. Ahners plan certainly works for hybridzers and should be developed as such. But I was noting there is another type of test garden not for hybridizers alone, but for the public. This would mostly reflect performance of cultivars already introduced. It may aid hybridzers in that it may suggest choices for future parents but it is not the private relationship between hybridizer and friend but essentially a public forum for people selecting new varieties to grow in their area. It would be useful for people in different regions of the country to know how cultivars have performed in other places and not designed to limit this information just with a hybridizer

Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com> wrote:Yes, I would agree that the Trial Gardens should be for hybridizers and those
willing to trial new seedlings. Those with a proven abililty and knowledge of
Iris culture. These are the opinions I am most interested in. I can honestly
say that I am not interested in doing tours and catering to smallk or large
masses trudging through my plot. I don't have the time and the situation
where my garden is does not lend itself to "parties".

I also am not willing to go "public" with my seedlings as would probably
happen with willy nilly gardens amoung irresponsible people. Those who
evaluate and contribute should enter into a responsible and non-profit
endeavour with each other. I am also not interested in writing/receiving
lengthy reports on Iris variety's culture. That is not a hybridizer's
purpose, and it really doesn't serve a public purpose either. An Iris
variety, especially bearded's and others, shouldn't need a report to know how
to grow it. Isn't that our goal?! NO FUSSY varieties. Aril's and Arilbred's
would be the only exception I would think as they are still in need of this
detailed information in working toward their improvement.