Re: HYB: AIS: Trial Garden Idea

Paul: I am sorry I misunderstood your point. You raise some veru interesting ideas. I think we all agree that one of the essential problems is finding people who are willing are able to carry out such goals. It seems that few of us can do interactive websites. A form of these is called a wiki and I have been trying to learn more about them but learning can be very time consuming. For now I think a small beginning would be less daunting. Several people have asked me for forms. At present I know of none but I think it would be very easy to create. It would need to include two things; a characterization of the environment at the test garden which may be the same for each report coming from that garden with notes as to unusual weather, and a few measures that are objective that could indicate how well something is growing. I would favor the following: height, #stalks, # of branches, # of buds, # of increases, size of flowers. These are all parameters that can be quantified and vary with
 a plants performance. These along with a picture would give a pretty good indication of what a plant is doing. along with a note on any disease noted It would seem that a simple checklist like this could be used in each type of test garden. If in introduced cultivar gardens people wanted to have judging parties whatever that would be in addition to this basic data.

Paul Archer <pharcher@mindspring.com> wrote:No, I didn't miss your point, but was briefly trying to discern between the
two purposes of the Trial Gardens and express my interest in only the
Hybridizer Group. I agree with you completely on your followup email. The
"Public Test Garden" is quite useful to the public for growabilty as well as
the hybridizer for determining new breeding stock for hybridizers wanting
those that perform uniformly (hopefully everywhere) and to isolate the gene
combinations that do so. I think that is what is missing in most breeding
programs. They are two distinct groups and should essentially operate
separately. Obviously the goal would be to have one's seedling "cross over"
into the "Public Test Garden" for general approval and comparison to existing
varieties.

Sure, there will be be individuals involved in both groups at the same time
and that is OK. They just need to be willing to do the separate record
keeping and attributes required for each group. Each should have separate
forms as their needs would be different.

Hybridizers might even have their own individual forms. Although, I think
there should be a uniform hybridizer evaluation form which a hybridizer would
ber able to see all results of an evaluated seedling and they can choose which
observations to pay attention to or are more important to them at that time.

Just a thought.......how about a website that could be created and logged on
to for people to enter their observations? No need for anything too fancy,
but could also be as fancy as the ability to upload photos taken at the trial
site of flowers and foliage. Obviously, someone computer saavy enough would
have to do that and I'm sure a small fee paid by the hybridizer to maintain
their profile and entries. This would save some time and ease with
information transmittal. It could also save the hybridizer from trying to
read/interpret other's handwriting or information lost in the mail. There
could also be a "Public Test Garden" website detailing observations as well.
I think that would be the best way to disseminate the information out to the
public. People could look varieties up on their own (AIS members or not),
print the information, catalogs reference the website to potential purchasers,
ect, ect.

Origianal Message:----------

Paul, I believe you missed my point; I noted that there are two purposes.
Different
goals require different approaches. Anner's plan certainly works for
hybridzers and
should be developed as such. But I was noting there is another type of test
garden
not for hybridizers alone, but for the public. This would mostly reflect
performance
of cultivars already introduced. It may aid hybridzers in that it may suggest
choices
for future parents but it is not the private relationship between hybridizer
and
friend but essentially a public forum for people selecting new varieties to
grow
in their area. It would be useful for people in different regions of the
country
to know how cultivars have performed in other places and not designed to limit
this
information just with a hybridizer

Paul Archer
wrote:Yes, I would agree that the Trial
Gardens should be for hybridizers and those
willing to trial new seedlings. Those with a proven abililty and knowledge of
Iris culture. These are the opinions I am most interested in. I can honestly
say that I am not interested in doing tours and catering to smallk or large
masses trudging through my plot. I don't have the time and the situation
where my garden is does not lend itself to "parties".

I also am not willing to go "public" with my seedlings as would probably
happen with willy nilly gardens amoung irresponsible people. Those who
evaluate and contribute should enter into a responsible and non-profit
endeavour with each other. I am also not interested in writing/receiving
lengthy reports on Iris variety's culture. That is not a hybridizer's
purpose, and it really doesn't serve a public purpose either. An Iris
variety, especially bearded's and others, shouldn't need a report to know how
to grow it. Isn't that our goal?! NO FUSSY varieties. Aril's and Arilbred's
would be the only exception I would think as they are still in need of this
detailed information in working toward their improvement.