HYB: AIS: Trial Garden Idea

Well, now that we are thinking about forms.  I think these characteristics
could also be included:  largest rhizome width, leaf length, leaf width (at
center of leaf blade), foliage color, stalk circumference (at a predetermined
point such as just below at the lowest branch), disease resitance, flower
substance, a note of the root structure upon digging up for return to
hybridizer or division.  I feel these are also important in determining
overall performance and most can be evaluated wether or not something blooms
for someone that year or not.  Also, I feel the root mass structure is
important for the rebloomers as I have noted in many my seedlings that they
have a significantly more abundant and thicker root structure.  There are
exceptions, but those I haven't been all that happy with in their overall
perfomance.  Root structure could also be a factor in determining a seedling
for its rebloom carrier potential.

And it is good that all of these elements do not have to be done at the same
time fortunatley.  A lot of work in evaluation of all of these factors.  But
this is why some one has to be willing to dedicate themselves to doing it in
addition to their own Iris, gardening and life in general.  I do feel though
that it would be as easy to evaluate 5 plants as it would be 30, just a little
more time involved.  Once someone is armed with the proper tools (say a kit),
schedule, and appropriate forms it should be easy.