RE: OT-CHAT: Trials, and Tribulations

Neil,
Speaking of Tennessee, I have a son in Jackson, TN (100 miles Northeast of Memphis). I talked to him this morning and there were just having a few sprinkles of rain at that time, but they are expecting major rain and heavy winds tonight. They are in the direct path of the hurricane and everyone in town is battening down the hatches. They were told not to go anywhere after this evening and to stay put until at least Wednesday morning. He told me not to expect to him from him again until Wednesday or later, depending on what the hurricane does to the phone lines. This is one mean storm. I hope that everyone stays safe out there.
Sincerely, Susan Boyce, Utah where we hit 99 degrees today.

From: "Neil A Mogensen" <neilm@charter.net>
To: "Iris-talk" <iris@hort.net>
Subject: [iris] OT-CHAT: Trials, and Tribulations
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:14:52 -0400

Dorothy and I also have been keeping a close eye on Katrina. She has a son
just north of Louisiana in Arkansas, but we think his household is far
enough west to escape more than wind and rain short of disaster, but very
wet.

I have three daughters in Tennessee right in the path of the storm, two
southeast of Nashville, one northwest of the city. I e-mailed them
yesterday asking what sort of preparations they were making. I don't think
they realized they may be in for a ride, with heavy rain, strong wind and
tornadoes possible. The one of them that had responded last night had not
yet awakened to the risks they face and she was quite preoccupied with other
matters. I'm concerned she has her head in the clouds so much so that she
and her family aren't aware!

We expect substantial rain here too, with some possibility of wind, even
though we are right in the middle of the Appalachins just in the fringe of
the area expected to be affected the most. The Great Smokies are west of
us, which should moderate the effects of the storm in our area. Linda Mann,
however, is on the west side of the range and in an area near Knoxville that
may get substantial effects of the storm.

There are a great many members of both this list and of AIS in the very wide
and deep storm track. I am really concerned about them. The ones I've
gotten to know are like family to me.

Neil Mogensen z 7 Reg 4