Trial garden form:

I think it should also have a section that describes a seedling's/variety's
growth tendency during summer and winter.  Does it go dormant as in I. aphylla
or the SOME of the arilbreds which shed their leaves, or semi-dormant and
cease groth but remain foliaged, or continue growth? Also, winter/early spring
growth tendencies.

Also there should be a section for additional, miscellaneous positive or
negative comments, mishaps or general impressions observed during the year.

Some of these observations would need to be observed at certain times.  For
instance rhizome width and leaf retention in late July, and obviously bloom (#
as well as double and triple socketed) and stalk characteristics in Spring
when blooming.  Maybe even a separate section for rebloom qualities, buds
(also and option for number of triple budded sockets), branching ect.

I do feel I am making this all seem so complicated but these are the things a
hybridizer looks at( or maybe should be now that we are forming this group !).
If anyone thinks it is a bit overboard please say so.  I do feel that is the
best way to get the best results from the Trial Gardens and would make all the
effort put into them most effective.  Also, if someone were new to hybridizing
they could look at the form and see what they should be looking for in their
own selections and would give them a really good start.

I am thinking every member in the program would have a copy (paper or on
computer/disk/CD). If a hybridizer wishes to they could cross out the sections
or criteria they are not interested in.  Then when they send their rhizome to
a predetermined tester site they would send the coresponding forms in the same
package. That would probably be the easiest.  From there the results can be
entered on a web page or simply mailed/emailed back to the hybridizer.