re: OT-CHAT: Katrina

We're probably in the last day of the immediate effects from the storm, but
since about one a.m. today we've been getting a rotating cycle of light
rain, heavy rain, then super-heavy rain, with warnings of flooding, tornado
watch and so on.  The super-heavy is predominating right now--since about
six a.m.  That--and we're not even in the direct part of the storm, just the
trailing vacuum-cleaner type suction of warm, wet air up from the Gulf
through Atlanta.  A long trail of storms are in that track, only a
side-effect of the primary storm.

I chatted on the IM with my granddaughter between Jackson and Nashville last
night.  They knew about the storm, were more or less prepared, and she added
school had been cancelled for today.  I see by the Intellicast radar-loop
for the US that north of Nashville-Jackson areas the rain is now at heavy
levels, but almost the whole state of Kentucky is under heavy rain, with the
whole system moving rapidly NE.  I will be most interested to hear what
Betty W. reports later today.

I've not heard from the Murfreesboro households.  The storm is past them....

We here were already so wet I have no idea how many downed trees we will
have if even light winds persist.  Our power has been flickering for the
past two hours, but resumes after minor glitches.  We're not planning on
even leaving the house today.

The rot problem in beardeds has gotten much worse as this sauna-bath heat
and humidity has continued day after day.  There are almost no varieties
that are not being affected at least to some degree, with many plants and
clumps gone completely.  The devastation in the iris beds and rows is
heart-breaking.  Even most of my best reselect seedlings are gone--except
for most (not all!) of those I potted last fall to get them up out of the
gumbo red clay.  Even among the potted ones, many are ok, many others not
thriving, some dead.

The Siberians and JI's are loving it.

I cannot imagine the effects this storm will have on us all directly
affected.  The forecast here is for direct, dry, hot sun for about four days
running right as this storm clears out.  Steam bath?  Or a chance to dry
out?  It remains to be seen.

I've just thrown up my hands and said, OK, whatever.  I'm blessed in what
will survive, what won't, despite the pain of the losses.  Like with Linda
Mann, if it survives our climate, wonder of wonders!  We'll breed with the
survivors...and get a steam-bath, sauna tolerant tall bearded adaptation?
Or just backtrack into a genetic morass that doesn't know when to grow, when
to bloom?  Time will tell.

The funny thing is--I haven't lost a single diploid!

I hear about the massive flooding recently from Bavaria to parts of
Switzerland, eastward to Bulgaria and Romania, and realize we are far from
the only iris area under devastating and even terrifying climate

Neil Mogensen  z 7?  Region 4  western NC mountains