Re: Re: CULT: Trial garden form

In a message dated 8/30/05 6:25:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<< The World of Iris warns that bearded iris will <not> live in a zone not
far south of where I am. >>

Not live, or not bloom well, Linda?

The traditional eastern states dividing line of which I am aware for reliable
bloom in the larger bearded irises is old Route 20, which runs through
Jackson, Mississippi and Shreveport, Louisiana.

When I was arranging for bearded irises to restore the garden at Eudora
Welty's family's home in Jackson I deliberately selected some California-bred
historic irises--notably 'Happy Days'-- because they were more likely to bloom,
this because they did not have much Iris variegata in them, so did not need a
lot of cold to bloom.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA