Re: Re: CULT: southern survival (was Trial garden form

In a message dated 8/30/05 10:15:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

<< Can you imagine west coast hybridizers sending their introductions to
 Atlanta to a trial garden?  Turnover would be very high - much more
 difficult growing conditions there (and here) than in Memphis.

I'm not disputing you, Linda, aside from anything else the Southern Blight
will sap one's joy pretty smartly, or at least it does mine, and I think they
get nematodes and such as well,  but it did occur to me that there are AIS
members down thataway, not all of whom are growing nothing but LAs, and I wondered
about AIS conventions, as in how far South have they been held. I see here in
a copy of the 75th anniversary Bulletin--p.26--that in 1979 the AIS convention
was held in Huntsville Alabama, and in 1992 it was in Atlanta.

Is there anyone on this list who went to either or both of those meetings and
can you remember anything useful about how the gardens looked and what was
doing well?

Anner Whitehead