Re: CULT: diploids

Anner Whitehead asks: "Neil, where are you in relation to Biltmore Estate,
please?
Cordially, AMW"

The best reference point from a map would be the Asheville Regional Airport,
about three straight line miles SE of our location, but at elevation 130
feet or so lower than ours.

Properties drawn from the enormous land holdings of the Biltmore Estates to
form "Biltmore Park," with  new and growing housing, commercial and
high-tech clean-industry, begins three miles east of us, at about the same
elevation as the Airport.

The headquarters and visitors' entry to the Biltmore Estate is, however,
about 14 road miles north of our location.

Our plantings are south of the new "The Cliffs at Walnut Cove" golf course
and very upscale housing development, within 20 yards of touching corners
with this property.  The Blue Ridge Parkway runs on the north side of "The
Cliffs."  Much of what borders the Parkway on its north side belongs to
Biltmore Estates.  Avery Creek Road is south of the northern zone of "The
Cliffs."

The garden elevation includes areas from 2240 to 2260 feet above sea level,
200 feet higher than the French Broad River.  We have sharp air drainage,
protected by two "mountains" that run up over 800 feet above us both to
north and south.  We're on a side "saddle" area of the north mountain, with
air drainage protecting us quite well from the worst radiation frosts.  The
advective ones (the frost blows in, instead of forms locally) hurt us
greatly, despite the protection of the two "mountains."

We are only a very short distance from the Henderson County line, already
zone 7 rather than 6 on the older USDA maps.  Our area now falls definitely
south of the "zone 7" boundary, even though most of our county (Buncombe) is
zone 6.

Our relation both to topography and soils, is radically different from Linda
Mann's, largely accounting for the differences in survival of specific
cultivars and types, even though we share the same "sauna bath" summers in
the wet cycle years as well as the sharp and destructive temperature shifts
once arctic air begins to plunge into the area, or is pumped down the east
face of the Appalachins by winter cyclonic lows off the coast of New
England.

That should orient our climate type and location both laterally and
vertically.

Regards,

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains